Saturday, October 31, 2020

Separated at Mirth: Movie Monster Meets Monster Movie!

We conclude our "Halloween Week with Boris Karloff", with a rather unusual Separated at Mirth... 

...Unusual in that it is not between two similarly-themed comic book covers, as is our practice, but between a comic and a DVD!  

"The Monster That Challenged the World" (1957, Released on Blu-ray by Kino Lorber 2017)...
 
...And BORIS KARLOFF TALES OF MYSTERY # 35 (Gold Key Comics, Cover Date: June.1971). 

They go so nicely together, don't they?  


One content to be in his own movie - and one looking for just a bit more!  


Talk about a "breakout role!"  

The critics have spoken... their last words! 

And so we have "The Monster That Challenged the World" and BORIS KARLOFF TALES OF MYSTERY # 35 - Separated at Mirth (...or whatever passes for "Mirth" if you're a hideous monster)! 

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 

2 comments:

scarecrow33 said...

The two images make a powerful statement when placed in proximity like that. These posts only serve to increase my respect for the Boris Karloff comic book, the TV series, and the man himself.

This is an observation only marginally connected, but as it was these recent posts that inspired me to notice, I think it is appropriate.

On Disneyland Records' Haunted Mansion album, Pete Renoudet is not, as I always believed, merely "filling in" for Paul Frees as the Ghost Host. It occurred to me just yesterday as I was listening that Pete is very effectively channeling Boris Karloff in his vocal interpretation of the Host. The similarity to Karloff is almost eerie in its perfection. I have listened to that recording annually for years and that recognition only just occurred to me. Thanks to my being in mind of Karloff when I listened, I was able to make that connection. So a shout-out, Joe, for helping to enhance my listening pleasure through your amazing posts!

Joe Torcivia said...

Scarecrow:

Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi have been the most referenced / most tributed / most parodied voices in the history of horror! Due, naturally, to their indelible association with the genre. Even such far-removed characters as the “Franken Berry” and “Count Chocula” animated cereal mascots owe everything to those two distinctive actors.

We’ve actually gotten to the point where people “know the voices” of Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and say, Peter Lorre as stock voices associated with genre – but ONLY as “stock voices”, not knowing of the actors themselves! I have personally been involved in such conversations or online exchanges that go something like “Oh, is THAT who that voice is supposed to be!”, so I know it’s (alas) true!

And, if you or anyone else is interested, I’d done another post on “The Monster That Challenged the World”, where I linked it not to BORIS KARLOFF’S TALES OF MYSTERY, but to Casty’s MICKEY MOUSE - HERE!