Friday, August 16, 2024

TIAHBlog at 16 Presents 16 Covers -- Number Three (x3)!

Everyone has their thoughts on, and their predictions for, THE FUTURE... but how many of them have ever turned out right?  I don't mean "right" in any sort of "general sense", but REALLY, ABSOLUTELY, BANG-ON, GOT-IT-IN-ONE CORRECT?   

...No, can't say that mine have either! 

I never imagined I'd someday be in a situation like my present one.  Rather, I thought that "everybody's-go-to-future-that-never-happened-example", FLYING CARS, was more likely to happen by now!     

...And, on the remote possibility that they DID, mine would most likely be out of Deutronium Hyper-Neucleonic Blend Rocket Engine Fuel!  

...I'd probably look more like the "Charlton Version of Myself", than the "Gold Key Version", as well! 

Nevertheless, predict we do, and we'll do a hypothetical exercise in "future possibilities"...

 ...Yes, "future possibilities"... phrased thusly because, in light of recent developments, and with good reason, we've become somewhat hesitant to use the phrase "What If" around here for a while!  

Indeed, if left unchecked, "What If" shows every indication of becoming the next "Legendary Super-Pickax"...


...And we wouldn't want THAT to happen, would we?  (But, I digress... "legendarily", of course!)

We present a hypothetical exercise in "future possibilities" relating to the 16th birthday/anniversary of TIAHBlog (...do Blogs even have "birthdays", "anniversaries", or some other unit of commemorative measure?)

THIABlog came into being on THURSDAY, AUGUST 14, 2008... just one day after Wednesday, August 14, 2008 - that is to say "New Comics Day - Wednesday"!

Now, I'll never be able to recreate exactly which comics I bought on that day, but it's a good bet that there would be something from GEMSTONE...

...Something from DC...

And probably some favorite licensed property put out by a small publisher, like JUDGE DREDD or LOST IN SPACE...

BUT, I asked myself because nobody else would, which NEW COMICS would you get on NEW COMICS WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2024 (the 16th "DATE" Anniversary of TIAHBlog)?  

...Ya know I didn't really ask myself that back then, but go with the bit, okay?  

Well, to tie back to my opening paragraphs, I would have gotten THAT prediction wrong, too!  

No Gemstone, or any other regularly-published standard-sized Disney comics that would catch my interest yet!  

Little or no DC because, other than their SCOOBY-DOO titles, they seem to have driven me, and my interests, away. 

...But what did I say about "some favorite licensed property put out by a small publisher"?  Well set off the sparklers and drop the confetti because I GOT ONE RIGHT!  


But not exactly that REALLY, ABSOLUTELY, BANG-ON, GOT-IT-IN-ONE type of "right", because I had no idea which "favorite licensed properties" there might be, or which "small publishers" would furnish them.  

Finally, HERE, after all that 16th Anniversary and predictions blather, are our Covers for installment  Number Three - times 3.  Everything else above doesn't count toward the "Anniversary Cover Total" (Sorry, Yogi!), but you get a Three-for-One bonus for August 16, 2024!  Not bad, eh? 

DICK TRACY #4 from  "Mad Cave Studios":


JONNY QUEST #1 from "Dynamite Entertainment":


And, just in time for the Presidential Election Season, RICK AND MORTY FINALS WEEK: CONTESTED CONVENTION #1 from "Oni Press":


All of these "favorite licensed properties from these small publishers" are giving me the Joy-of-Reading that the bigger fish have moved too far away from!  I will be indexing all three at GCD soon!  Stop by and check them out!  

So, with Three-For-One Friday completed, let's see where we go next for installment Number Four!  

4 comments:

Elaine said...

Well, yesterday you gave us nine covers! Don't try to keep this up, or you'll run out of steam before you hit sixteen. Glad you have *some* new comics to enjoy; I'm down to Darkwing Duck Justice Ducks as the only current series title I get. In 2008 I don't know what I would have predicted for 2024 comics--given the history of Gladstone I/Disney Interregnum/Gladstone II/Gemstone, I wouldn't have had any certainty that 2024 would boast a monthly Disney Duck title in the USA. But, we rejoice in Fantagraphics! This week I'm reading my way through the Donald Duck 90th Anniversary book as my end-of-day reward. We who didn't get advance copies got this Anniversary book the day before the blog's anniversary!

Joe Torcivia said...

Elaine:

Well, I haven’t run out of steam yet! Though I must admit this challenge I set for myself is simultaneously exhausting and invigorating! I’m still dubious over the whole “sixteen posts in sixteen days” thing – but, ¼ through the ordeal, having just completed Post #4, I’m still going… er, um, strong?

But trust me when I say that, at this moment, I truly have no idea what #5 will be!
Another semi-discovery on my part is that I’ve “kinda-learned / kinda-already knew” that I’m a compulsive writer! …Meaning that I can’t just put any old cover(s) out there and sign off.

These things, so far, have all come with a fairly extensive backstory – and if you like (or at least tolerate) my particular brand of extensive backstory, just wait’ll you see Post Number Four! …Don’t know how “extensive” they’ll be down the final stretch, but it’ll be fun finding out!

ENJOY the Donald Duck 90th Anniversary book! It’s really one of Fantagraphics’ best efforts! I look forward to your thoughts (on the Blog, or privately) on the Marco Rota Donald Biography, which I’ve wanted published in the USA since 1984!

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

This post reminds me... I kind of wish "The Infinity Dime" had used the phrase "Legendary Super-Pickax" somewhere. It would be a fun inside joke!

Joe Torcivia said...

…And it probably would have happened, Sergio, if *I* had dialogued “Infinity Dime”!