Saturday, June 24, 2023

I’m Not an Artist, But… The (Star) Man of Steel!

 I’m Not an Artist, But… I can't help but feel that the logo atop ADVENTURE COMICS #471 (DC Comics, Cover Date: August, 1980) and other issues in that run could have been better designed than it was.  

The ADVENTURE COMICS logo itself is just fine, as is the PLASTIC MAN portion of the secondary-logo.  But the STARMAN portion of the secondary-logo kinda, sorta gives the wrong impression.  


Yes, I know they're supposed to be STARS studding the Starman logo but, in both this image and in the full-sized actual comic, it gives more of an impression of RIVETS giving the logo more of a "steel" look rather than a "starry" one!  


G'wan... Tell me it's not so!  

Now, it's not quite as pronounced as DC's later logo for STEEL - a long running character and series of perhaps the best of the "substitute Superman" quartet that emerged following the epic "Death of Superman" storyline of 1992. 


At least here, DC accomplished it's goal of designing a suitably "steel-y" logo!  

Now I’m Not an Artist, But… I think that maybe a starry background, instead of the "steel-studded, on-logo stars" would have better served the feature of this version of Starman.  

No comments: