Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Adventures in Comic-Boxing: "It's the Talk of the Teen"!


Here's an odd little filler feature from LOIS LANE # 16 (DC Comics: Cover Date: April, 1960) called "It's the Talk of the Teen"! 


It purports to be a look at current (read 1950s) teenage slang! 
I have no idea how accurate it is, or is not - nor if it was just intended as an out-an-out humor piece... but behold how members of the hip, in-crowd of the later 1950s are alleged to have spoken! 




Hey, guess what?  "Roger" STILL means "O.K."!   



Anyone who cares to make their own joke about this last one below is welcome to do so... while I politely and modestly bow out! 


...Good night, folks!  

4 comments:

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

I'm particularly struck by the fact that the photographer doesn't appear to be taking a picture of the woman's face...

ShadZ said...

According to the GCD, this feature is reprinted from A Date with Judy #8 -- from 1948! I thought these fashions looked older than 1960...

Joe Torcivia said...

Sergio writes: “I'm particularly struck by the fact that the photographer doesn't appear to be taking a picture of the woman's face...”

Um… perhaps that might help explain the adjoining panel to the right?

Joe Torcivia said...

Shad:

Yes, I failed to take into account that fact that DC often reprinted such filler-features… even in different and unrelated titles! Thanks for pointing that out.

You’d think a prolific indexer like me would have checked this on GCD! My bad… but “your good”! Appreciate it!