Nobody - but NOBODY - can draw 'em like Sergio Aragones!
It's come to where I treasure each and every issue of GROO that comes out!
Sergio Aragones aided and abetted by Mark Evanier are an unbeatable combination! With that said, I invite you to enjoy a Sergio panel that brought an out-loud laugh to my lips, and a still greater appreciation for his talent to my heart!
From HOUSE OF MYSTERY #175 (DC Comics, Cover Date: July-August, 1698), comes this single-panel cartoon from the first of a regular series called "Cain's Game Room".
Cain takes over with this issue (above), with tingling stories, and entertaining games!
Click to enlarge and see all the detail behind the main title logo!
Cain is the caretaker of The House of Mystery and, starting in his first issue, he's clearly got many fun plans for his guests! Have a peek below, why don't you!
Now, THERE'S a LAUGH-OUT-LOUD MOMENT... and I ain't, um... lion!



6 comments:
Oddly enough, a red shirt and white shorts is the uniform of the Portuguese soccer club Sport Lisboa e Benfica, whose main rival is Sporting Clube de Portugal, the mascot of which is... wait for it... a lion!
Anyway, yes, that's an incredible amount of detail behind the main title logo of "Cain's Game Room." That's one of those pieces of artwork that you could look at for years and never get tired of, as each spot has an interesting quirk that one is likely to not have previously noticed.
Now THAT *IS* FUNNY, Sergio!
Assuming that was the case back in 1968, I wonder if it's possible that "The Other Sergio" (Aragones, that is!) could have done that purposely? Though he was born in Spain, with his family later moving to Mexico, he appears to have had no actual connection with Portugal.
Anyway, it's not so strange for a creator to do that sort of thing... I always put in things to amuse myself, and the few others in the know... like the "Bowling vs. the Opera" Flintstones reference (mentioned in the comments for last post), which I learned just today is expected to be in a 2027 release! ...Eeeh, just between you, me, and th' lion, Doc, it'll be woith the wait!
Yes, indeed! And, as you might imagine, it's also true of every issue of Groo! But, WHAT A LOGO!!!
Joe:
Yes, in 1968, as now, Benfica’s uniform was a red shirt and white shorts, and Sporting’s mascot was a lion.
Now, I’d bet the man’s “uniform” is a coincidence, but there’s a non-negligible chance it’s not.
In 1961, Benfica won the European Cup, defeating Spanish club CF Barcelona 3-2. In 1962, Benfica won again, defeating another Spanish club, Real Madrid, 5-3.
As for Sporting, the “lions” won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1964, defeating the Hungarian club MTK Budapest.
So both of these Portuguese clubs would have been well-known to Spaniards in 1968, especially Benfica, and it’d be understandable if Aragonés set up this gag as a bit of playful revenge.
VERY INTERESTING, Sergio! ...And anything is possible, especially when "senses of humor" are involved.
BTW, I'm sorry that my keyboard does not allow me to properly type "Aragonés" the way that it *should* be displayed! Unless there's some keyboard trick of which I'm not aware, I offer apologies to BOTH Sergios!
Post a Comment