Wednesday, January 16, 2019

More Melon 3!

Here, courtesy of our friend Achille Talon, is still another hilarious installment of the Franco-Belgian comic "Walter Melon" (...known as "Achille Talon" in French, hence his screen-name) by the great cartoonist Michael Greg...

...And with, as we used to say during IDW's days of glory, "Translation and Dialogue by Achille Talon", the REAL one, not the "cartoon-one"!   

CLICK TO ENLARGE any panel sequence!  Please excuse the inconsistencies in panel size.  That's just how they appear in Blogger!  










Let me remind you that the reams of outright funny English dialogue put into the mouth of Michael Greg's characters are all the more incredible an achievement as Achille is French!  

Would that ALL (Fresh and) Modern Day comics had incredible translations like this!  

Achille is once again thanked for his wonderful contributions to this humble Blog!  

2 comments:

Chuck Munson said...

I had a feeling that we were being led to a climax in that direction. However, my original supposition was that dear Achille, while versed on all the background of chess, wouldn't know the first thing about how to play it. Granted, having not read your other Melon posts yet, I might have seriously misjudged the character. Nonetheless, it was a funny outcome. Although, it did appear that checkmate was declared with only two moves, and I'm not certain that that's possible in chess....

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to this, Joe, as you've introduced me to so many other characters over the years.

Joe Torcivia said...

Chuck:

It was my pleasure, and I’m certain I speak for Achille Talon as well, to introduce you to Walter Melon! Further, it is my hope to *continue* introducing you to new characters, because there’s never TOO much to enjoy!

“Although, it did appear that checkmate was declared with only two moves, and I'm not certain that that's possible in chess....”

Try this spin… Assuming it is not possible, perhaps Bitterbug, taking full advantage of Walter’s pomposity, just said “Checkmate” as a BLUFF… thinking Walter would fall for it! …And he DID!