Thursday, December 4, 2025

Adventures in Comic-Boxing: The Thin Line Between Tragedy and Comedy - and the Power of Writers!

Consider the cover of DETECTIVE COMICS # 419 (DC Comics, Cover Date: January, 1972), a rather stark image for a comic released in late 1971...


Now, consider it again if we replace the grim cover copy with the following headline...

"Remorseful Toy Collector Commits Unique Suicide After Removing His Mint Batman Action Figures From Their Packaging!" 

  
 
Ah, we writers hold such untapped power!  We could rule the world, if only we could find a way to unite!   

...Perhaps it's best we don't! 

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Great minds really think alike! When I saw the cover I immediately thought to myself “I wonder if DC made toys of those Batman statues. There is someone somewhere who would buy those!” As you could imagine I got a kick out of your punchline!

Debbie Anne said...

It looks like he’s being dragged down to his doom by Batman-shaped shampoo bottles.

Joe Torcivia said...

Deb:

If I had a choice in the manner of “being dragged down to [my] doom”, it would be more comfortable – and less embarrassing - to have it done by BATMAN-shaped shampoo bottles, than Paw Patrol ones! Hopefully, any of you without grandchildren have been spared that particular ultra-annoying experience! …Watching Paw Patrol, that is, not that watery doom stuff!

Personally, they reminded me of the SOAKY BUBBLE BATH TOYS! I had many of those when I was a kid! Huckleberry Hound, Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck (…there’s my BIG THREE, right there), Mickey Mouse, Yogi Bear, Porky Pig (…there’s my BIG THREE Level Two), right there), Bullwinkle, Alvin, Mighty Mouse, Popeye, Dick Tracy – and not a single one of them ever tried drowning me in my bathtub!

Joe Torcivia said...

Ryan:

DC probably DID make toys of those Batman statues – or something close enough to them – since they made “Batman-almost-everything-else”!

Going through boxes of unopened action figures from the ‘80s and ‘90s, in anticipation of our upcoming move – and destined for future sales on ebay, once we’ve fully recovered from the Shock and Awe (...Or would that be “Shock and Exhaustion”?) of moving, brought that exact punchline to mind… when I discovered that I had opened my 1984 Kenner DC Super Powers JOKER action figure!

…Of ALL the ones to OPEN, why did it have to be THE JOKER! Couldn’t I have opened the less-valuable DR. FATE instead?! :-)

scarecrow33 said...

Since the holidays are fast approaching, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Reporting on my usual Christmas comics reading--the Gold Key Walt Disney Christmas Parade issues are heading my list. Interesting how after one issue with all-new stories, Gold Key ever afterward relied exclusively on reprints from the Dell Comics. Either they didn't trust themselves to come up with more new material, or the classic stuff was too good to resist. I prefer to go with the latter theory. These issues provided me with hours of holiday delight in my growing up years. And, aside from #2 and #8 containing the exact same material--except for the fact that the latter had advertising inside and also contained a bonus poster--there were no other duplications. My introduction to the "Shacktown" story was with #8 since I had been too young when #2 came out, and never got a copy until I became a collector years later. This was probably what the editors were banking on--that kids who were of comics reading age in 1970 were too young to have gotten a copy of the story in 1962. Aside from that, every issue was different. Alas, the series came to an end the very next year with #9 being the last Christmas Parade issue. However, when I was in college, Golden Press issued a 200 page collection titled Christmas Parade--so according to my personal canon this serves as #10 and the grand finale for the series. Amazingly, these issues contain the very best of the Dell era, plus Gold Key's one attempt at new Disney Christmas comics. And I love the fact that this 200 page spectacular concludes with a reprint of Christmas in Disneyland in its entirety. This, plus the hardback book "Walt Disney's Christmas Treasury" from Abbeville Press, provides a pretty comprehensive Disney Christmas! Best Christmas and New Year's wishes, Joe, to you and yours, and to the readers of this blog!