Wednesday, July 8, 2015

On Sale July 01, 2015: SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP # 11.



On the very same day you went to the comic book shop to get your copy of MICKEY MOUSE # 1 from IDW,  it is also hoped that you picked up a copy of SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP # 11!  Both are required reading for friends of this Blog!  

SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP has been my favorite comic book title since discovering it (and some other good comics from both DC Comics and IDW) in March, 2014!  



Now, IDW's new Disney comic book line may have altered that dynamic somewhat, but SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP is still a title that I anticipate very highly, and never fail to enjoy!  

And, issue # 11, is... um... "extra highly anticipated" because of its guest star, Secret Squirrel!  I first wrote about it HERE!  



And, if you take that last link, you'll find that I pretty much guessed how writer Sholly Fisch would manage to work a funny-animal character like Secret Squirrel into Scooby-Doo continuity!    


Yep!  He's THAT GOOD AN AGENT, AND THAT GOOD A MASTER OF DISGUISE!  ...And don't you just love the way Velma and SS are STANDING ON the bottom panel border!  



As usual, we get more great character bits from Mr. Fisch! Including one that references Freddy's fetish from SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERY INCORPORATED.  



And another bit so delightfully corny that *I* would have written it myself, in one of my Disney comic scripts, if I had the chance.  Click to Enlarge! 


Remind me to apply that joke to "Brutopia" someday! 

There is one thing in this issue that failed to work for me - and, with SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP, that's actually unheard of!

Check out the SCALE DIFFERENCE between the Scooby-Doo characters, and the "human" characters from Secret Squirrel, like Secret's Chief, Double-Q...



...And Villain Yellow Pinkie!  Why are they so TINY?!  


Velma should NOT be taller than Yellow Pinkie! 

Extrapolating from this, would it mean that Ranger Smith, or Officer Dibble are also shorter than Velma?  I'd sure hate to think so! 

If so, Velma might be BUMPING HER HEAD on the ceiling of the Ranger Station! 

It didn't work this way when the Mystery Inc. Gang met The Flintstones in Issue # 7...



...Or The Jetsons in Issue # 8!  Both drawn by the great Hanna-Barbera artist Scott Jeralds. 



So why here?  It COULDN'T have been Sholly Fisch's intention to have this scale disparity, or he would surely have made mention of it in the script - as he has done so wonderfully in issues past.  Example: Robin with Batman, and again in TEEN TITANS GO! 




This must have been a "value judgement" on the part of artist Dario Brizuela - and one that I can't say I agree with!


There's a SPOILER in the dialogue to the LEFT, so I cut it off! 

But, don't let those... er, "little things" bother you!  Get SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP # 11, enjoy it, and share your thoughts on it here!  




...And SSSHHHH!  Tip-toe! Tip-toe! Tip-Toe!  

1 comment:

Pan Miluś said...

I remember watching Secret Squirrel when I was little. Still love the theme song...

...but speaking of fun Scooby team-up's I just like to take this occasion and recommend you the animated "Scooby-Doo Meet Kiss" movie. I was surprise how funny and inventive it was. Heck! It's first Scooby direct-to-DVD movie I've seen in a while where I actually found the mystery interesting (It actually got me guessing to the very end is the mystery really is paranormal or not), the animation and character chemistry is great... plus it's very, very, very funny! ;)
BIG RECOMMENDATION!!!!