Thursday, March 5, 2020

Adventures in Comic-Boxing: Doctor, Doctor(-ed Photo), Give Me the News!


Here's a closer look at one of those ubiquitous body-building ads that used to appear in comic books, that taught you that muscles are the key to success in every aspect of life. 

I suppose that worked out for the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone but, ultimately, I suspect more of us found our respective paths to success without big muscles and a so-called manly physique. 

Still and all, I suppose many a 1950s-1960s comic book geek found such fantasies enticing after reading ads like this from THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD # 65 (DC Comics, Cover Date: April-May, 1966) - though I was not one of them.  A "geek"?   ...Perhaps.  Enticed?  ...Definitely not! 


Besides, do you expect me to believe that "little Dennis the Menace" down at the lower right became the muscleman in the photo by sending a dime in response to this ad?  

…Really?  


If you ask me, I'd say even the HEAD is doctored-onto that photo - much less the bright green dollar bills and black-and-white loving cup he apparently carries around with him while parading around in trunks!  

Me? I'd rather save that "dime", until I scraped-up another two-cents... and spent it on another comic book!  ...But, to each his doctored-own, I suppose!  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of being a compulsive editor, I have to point out that the expression is "still and all," not "still in all." Otherwise, your writing per usual is lively and enjoyable.
— G. Blum

Joe Torcivia said...

Thank you, Geoff!

The correction has been made. …If I’m going to be edited, I’m glad it’s by the best!

Sérgio Gonçalves said...

Hey, I just noticed something: the dime featured in this ad is a Mercury dime. Today, it is extremely rare to find this dime in circulation. But I suppose they were still common enough in the '60s, since the FDR dime was only introduced in 1946? Either that or the creator of the ad just decided that a Mercury dime would look cooler? Whatever the case may be, it's just another reminder of how time flies (kind of like Mercury)...

Joe Torcivia said...

I never noticed that myself, Sergio… but YEAH!

Mercury dimes weren’t all that common in the ‘60s either. Maybe this ad is actually older than we think? The guy doesn’t exactly scream “1966” either!

Great catch!